Wednesday, March 21, 2012

New 2012 Florida firearm related laws

This is a synopsis of the laws passed in the 2012 legislative session that effect firearm issues.  HB 463 becomes effective when signed by the governor  -- the others on July 1, 2012.

HB 463
First section creates 790.062 which modifies 790.06(2)(b) by allowing any current servicemember, or any U.S. armed forces veteran who was discharged honorably,  to obtain a CWP, even if age is less than 21 years.

Second part  amends 790.15 by making it a first degree misdemeanor to recklessly or negligently discharge a firearm on property used primarily as a dwelling, or zoned exclusively for residential use.

HB 947
Amends 775.087 to makes it a ten year mandatory sentence for a felon in possession of a firearm if the individual was previously convicted of a dangerous felony or an attempt of  any such listed in 775.084(1)(b)(1), and was in actual possession of a firearm during its commission.  ((if prior was a felony))
HB 5601
Reduces CWP fees starting July 1, 2012, to $70.00 for issuance, or $60 for renewal.


the end/


  1. What would your answer be to my Question to my State Senator below. This is a new Law that will be signed by the Governor in October.

    Sent: 7/1/2012 9:59:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
    Subj: CS/HB 463 - Concealed Weapons or Firearms

    Hi Andy
    I have a Question about the new Law:
    CS/HB 463 — Concealed Weapons or Firearms

    Discharging a Firearm on Residential Property

    The bill amends s. 790.15, F.S., to provide that a person who recklessly or negligently discharges a firearm outdoors on any property used or zoned exclusively for residential use commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

    My Question is:

    Can I still Shoot a gun if I own Land that my house is on and the Land is in the County not city limits.

    Robert D Jarrard

  2. I am also very confused buy this law.. I am unsure of the wording.. Is it legal to discharge a firearm in a safe manor on a residential property or not? What if I am shooting into a well made back stop on property zoned residential?